Thursday 18 December 2008

Save Iceland, buy Skyr


As we all know the country of Iceland is going through some rather wobbly economic times at the moment. When I flew back from København I visited the currency exchange to get my hands on some US dollars and as I looked gingerly at the exchange rate - never a good idea in Denmark - I noticed that next to the Icelandic flag there was a line. Their currency has devalued so much that you can't actually buy or sell it! Their banks have collapsed, unemployment is rocketing and Britain even tried to use anti-terrorist laws to get it's money back. I've had a fascination for the place for many years but so far, no visit. As a child I would think: why on earth did people land there? It couldn't have been very promising could it? Furthermore, what did they find to eat, aside from fish? What could they grow? According to the Icelandic government website, traditional foods - thorramatur - include cured shark, singed sheep heads and "other delicacies".

But like many windswept people, heavily dependent on their cattle for survival, Iceland produces many excellent dairy products. One of the most common is Skyr, a type of thick yoghurt that has been strained from pasteurized, skimmed milk that has had rennet added. I came across Skyr for the first time yesterday and am now frantically trying to find out anything I can about it. The most information I could find is here. It is supremely high in protein, but tastes very 'clean' and ever so slightly sour. The usual rich, rounded flavour that you get from a typical yoghurt gives way to a milky, smooth texture that doesn't coat your mouth. It can be used in conjunction with both sweet and savoury flavours: last night I simply added some Acacia honey, this morning I made an open sandwich, the recipe is below.

Does anyone else know anything about Skyr? Perhaps there are some Icelanders out there who can give us some more details?

Open-Faced Chicken Sandwich with Skyr 'Mayonnaise'
Serves 2


Ingredients:
1 organic, free-range Chicken breast
1/2 Pink Lady Apple, sliced
Skyr, 1 dessert spoon
Horseradish, 1 teaspoon, grated
Wholegrain mustard, 1 teaspoon
A good handful Thyme leaves
Sour Dough bread, sliced
Maldon Sea Salt

Method:
1. Season your chicken breast and roast in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees centigrade for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, mix the Skyr, mustard and horseradish together. Add a pinch of salt.
3. Once your chicken is cooked, remove the skin. Return the skin to the oven and render it until beautifully crisp.
4. Spread generously on a slice of Sour Dough.
5. Lay your sliced apple on top.
6. Slice your chicken breast on an angle, and lay on top of the apple.
7. Sprinkle with Thyme leaves and garnish with the crisp skin.

2 comments:

Vanessa Gray said...

What! I dont believe my eyes I was there yesarday. And today I even had a smoothie with Skyr in it, delicious. Also on the Icelandic theme of things I bought a vintage lopapeysa jumper on monday from a thrift store.
I was just checking if you were back in scotland as I fly home tomorrow then up to Edinbrugh to see my sister from heathrow. But your here not there very confusing. I shall email at later date to explain.
I hope you'll continue with your passion and keep teling us all about it. Take care cariad.

Edward Latter said...

Vanessa

Nice to hear from you! Looks like I'm staying in the USA as things are going really well with the girl from the Hazelnut Tart post. So although Scotland was on the cards it's well and truly off now! I'm hoping to secure a visa so I can stay over here. E-mail me and tell me about your Iceland trip - and when you're back in Emlyn look Eloise up.

Ed